On Monday, I made some delicious tomato and cheese barley. I didn’t really follow a recipe, but checked out this vegan recipe before I started cooking. Apparently, it’s actually based on a recipe from Vegan Yum Yum. Anyways, here’s the recipe I created.
- 2 cups of barley, dry
- 5 cups of water
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3/4 cup of cheese (I used leftover chihuahua cheese, but mozzarella would work)
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 3/4 tablespoon of dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine everything.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until water has absorbed and you have a nice creamy, cheesy barley dish.