We had an All-American themed potluck at work on Friday, so on Thursday night I made a loaf of reuben bread for the first time ever. I’m pleased to say that the bread was a big hit–in fact, one co-worker even said I’m heretofore required to make reuben bread for every potluck. What a compliment!
Thanks, Mom, for the recipe!
- 3 1/4 c flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package yeast
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c thousand island dressing
- 8 oz. shaved corned beef
- 1/4 lb. swiss cheese
- 8 oz. sauerkraut
- 1 egg white
- Mix 2 1/4 c flour with sugar.
- Add salt, yeast, hot water and butter.
- Add remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Kneed dough four minutes.
- Roll out to 10″ by 14″ on baking sheet.
- Spread dressing down center 1/3 (14 inches). Top with cheese, meat and kraut.
- Cut strips 1″ wide on each side and alternate over meat.
- Brush with egg
- Cover. Let rise 15 minutes over large pan of boiling water.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.